Support Your Local Businesses
Old Town Alexandria, VA, where I live and own my shop, Mindful Hands, is lucky to be home to a large number of distinctive independent shops, catering to a wide clientele – from upscale chic boutiques to fine art and home decor galleries to multi-cultural fair trade and eco-minded handicrafts to family-centered children’s stores. Many of Old Town’s shops will promoting our community by sponsoring family-centered activities, on the weekend of September 12/13. Here are a few:
– Mindful Hands will be partnering with our friends, the King Street Cats, for “Kitty-purr-looza,” a kitten adopt-a-thon, on Saturday, Sept. 12, from noon to 4pm. The kittens will be in their new “kitty corral” and, if past kitty-purr-loozas are any indication, it will be a kitty 3-ring circus! Stop by to pet and play with these frisky felines and maybe even take home a new friend (or two).
– Enjoy free lemonade and cookies, before or after playing with the kittens, jointly sponsored by Mindful Hands and our neighbors SoBe Unique Shoes – all at 211 King Street.
– Hooray for Books!, an independent children’s book store, at 1555 King Street, will be offering hand-cut silhouettes – shadow portraits that capture the unique personality of your child – by Anne Leslie. She’s one of only 75 silhouette artists in the United States, and she’ll be at Hooray for Books! on September 12 from 1:00 – 5:00pm.
– The largest display of collectible kaleidoscopes will be at Arts Afire Glass Gallery, 1117 King St, all weekend long and through Sept. 30th. Artist reception, Fri-Sat, Sept. 11-12, from 5-8pm and 1-4pm on Sun 9/13.
– and don’t miss “Children in the Churchyard at Christ Church,” 118 N. Washington St., for family-friendly activities including a moon bounce, Sat and Sun, 1-4pm, FREE.
Support your local artists, businesses, and community institutions. In these tough economic times, your dollars do indeed count!