October is World Fair Trade Month
The simple act of buying fairly traded products can make an enormous difference in the lives of disadvantaged families all over the world. Fair Trade ensures that artisans and workers in developing countries receive a fair and living wage for their work.
Buying fair trade products means that:
- a child can go to school instead of going to work
- a single mother can support herself and her children
- enironmentally sustainable practices are used
- employees work in a healthy and safe environment
At Mindful Hands, we purchase many of our products from the Tibetan exile community, living in India and Nepal. After losing their country to Chinese Communist invasion in 1959, the Tibetans have since been in danger of losing their unique culture. Our support of these communities ensures that Tibetan families can support themselves and also helps to preserve their cultural heritage by bringing traditional handicrafts to American markets.
To learn more about the Fair Trade movement, check out these resources:
- The Fair Trade Resource Network (www.fairtraderesource.org)
- The Fair Trade Federation (www.fairtradefederation.org)
- DC Make Trade Fair, a local grassroots organization(www.meetup.com/DCMakeTradeFair)
To learn more about Tibet and the Tibetan exile community, check out:
- The International Campaign for Tibet (www.savetibet.org)